[Gluster-users] Direct ethernet link between all peers

David Raffelt d.raffelt at brain.org.au
Mon Dec 16 05:55:21 UTC 2013

Hi All,
I'm currently setting up a distributed volume over 3 peers (each peer is a
compute server with multiple Ethernet ports).

I would like to connect each peer to all other peers with a direct
connection, so that traffic between peers does not affect external network
traffic (e.g. accessing the volume via other clients).

I currently have each direct connection on its own subnet. And the
/etc/hosts file on each peer configured accordingly. However when I add the
3rd peer using "gluster peer probe server3", the hostname displayed using
"gluster peer status" on server2 shows the wrong IP address for server1 (as
it is based on the IP address of the interface connecting server 1 and 3.

To correct this, is it safe to manually edit the hostname in the
/var/lib/glusterd/peers/UUID file?

The other solution would be to have a separate switch/network for internal
traffic. However I figure a direct connection between each peer will be
faster.

Thanks in advance!
Dave