[Gluster-users] Providing VM images for beta testing? (was: Gluster Community Weekly Meeting)

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Fri Dec 13 17:08:21 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 11:22:09AM -0500, James wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Niels de Vos <ndevos at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > The intended use-case is to provide testers with an easy way to start
> > going. I assume that for a lot of people downloading+importing
> > a VM-image is easier than creating+installing a VM from scratch.
> Both Vagrant and Virt-Builder would provide an image. So this is the
> same end result.
>
> Do you intend to provide 4 different images if the user wants to setup
> a 4 host cluster? What about 8 hosts? What about more? What about
> different environments, eg: 1 brick vs. 4 bricks vs. N bricks per
> host? How do you plan to install Gluster on each host? a shell script?
> Puppet-Gluster ?

The image should come with the version of Gluster that should be used
for the Testdays. I do not really care how it gets installed, but
I prefer to make it as simple as possible for users to start testing.

No doubt that we need to point to some explanations on how to import
such an image in VMware/oVirt/virt-manager/... and attach additional
disks for the bricks. We could provide an image with some bricks on
a partition to allow simple tests for new users too.

> With Vagrant you only need to provide one image, and Vagrant does the
> rest.
> In any case, I'll have all this ready in the next week or two and
> you'll all be able to test.

Nice!

> Maybe RWM Jones has some new secret add ons to virt-builder that could
> be helpful!

I think the manual is pretty clear. It explains how to add files to
a VM, install additional packages and the like:
- http://libguestfs.org/virt-builder.1.html

Anyway, I hope some readers that are interested in testing the upcoming
3.5 release will express their preference for a VM image or images.

Thanks,
Niels