[Gluster-users] Gluster and OpenStack

Josh Boon gluster at joshboon.com
Fri Dec 6 14:03:20 UTC 2013

Hey Whit,

>From what I understand of OpenStack it depends on how you're going to configure the storage pools.  If you're willing to keep the storage pool on separate dedicated hardware you could run that yourself as an unsupported config and maintain that and provide that to RSP as a storage pool and leave them responsible for the rest of the stack. We run unsupported with our team at RSP and have had good luck with it but I've also been lucky to get on good terms with my account team so they've worked to make sure I get what I'm looking for. If you're looking to have storage on the same machines that do the compute nodes they're going to be less cooperative. From what I've seen I've been able to get them to support lots of stuff that I've implemented but I've had no luck getting them to implement anything they don't support.

What features are you looking at specifically from gluster for the HA environment? Have you had a chat with their openstack folks about getting that stuff from another technology? Another option is to call a rose by another name, the Red Hat Storage Server which is gluster still but packaged in Red Hat which may scare less people over there and get something moving. I'm happy to chat more about it if you like.

All the best,
Josh