[Gluster-users] Shutting down a server with no service disruption and Xen instance errors

Torbjørn Thorsen torbjorn at trollweb.no
Tue Dec 3 14:14:44 UTC 2013

Okay, so basically what Joe Julian said here:
http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2013-September/037169.html
?

Just sending a TERM signal to the "glusterfsd" process using kill ?

I checked the init scripts, and they seem to only signal the "glusterd" process.
Could it be that the "glusterfsd" process aren't stopped gracefully by
the init script,
and they get killed hard when the server reboots ?

Is it so that if you do "service glusterfs-server stop", the
"glusterfsd" processes are stopped as well ?

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Hoggins! <fuckspam at wheres5.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Simply first stop the Glusterfs services on the brick you intend to
> shutdown, and everything is fine.
> I also experienced issues when I rebooted a brick without stopping the
> services first.
>
>     Hoggins!
>
> Le 03/12/2013 14:53, Torbjørn Thorsen a écrit :
>> Hello.
>>
>> We've got a 2x2 volume with two servers, holding Xen images for about
>> 200 instances.
>> Yesterday we wanted to reboot one of the servers into a new kernel and
>> a new version of Gluster, and simply rebooted the server in question.
>>
>> This caused problems for some of the Xen instances, giving IO errors
>> in their "dmesg" output.
>> Some instances had to be rebooted and fsck-ed to come up again.
>>
>> Is there any way to inform the Gluster FUSE client to stop using a
>> certain server,
>> so that a reboot of the server can be performed gracefully ?
>>
>> I'm thinking maybe reducing network.ping-timeout to something very low,
>> so that the kernel of the Xen instance will not complain about IO errors.

Vennlig hilsen
Torbjørn Thorsen
Utvikler / driftstekniker

Trollweb Solutions AS
- Professional Magento Partner
www.trollweb.no

Telefon dagtid: +47 51215300
Telefon kveld/helg: For kunder med Serviceavtale

Besøksadresse: Luramyrveien 40, 4313 Sandnes
Postadresse: Maurholen 57, 4316 Sandnes

Husk at alle våre standard-vilkår alltid er gjeldende