[Gluster-users] (no subject)

Mark Morlino mark at gina.alaska.edu
Mon Dec 2 18:35:08 UTC 2013

I use the same Centos and Gluster versions and also see high load averages.
I'm not sure I can help but I can relate since I have similar problems.

How many virtual machine images do you have on one brick?

I started out putting several VM images on a single gluster volume and have
since started creating a dedicated volume for each VM. My thinking was that
each brick gets a single process on each peer and that having separate
processes would prevent VMs from having to compete for slices of a single
brick process. I have not experienced a noticeable difference between the
setups so it is quite possible that my hypothesis was incorrect.

What is the underlying hardware setup?

I noticed significant VM performance improvements when I reconfigured the
LVM LVs that backend my VM images from raid 1 to raid 10. High load average
did not go away but VMs behave normally now instead of really slowly.

How many CPU cores do you have? On my system, which is is a pair of ~5 year
old supermicro servers with 8 cores and 8 GB of memory I consistently see
load averages in the mid-20s. It's higher than I would like but the VMs
that use the storage are still running well.

-Mark