[Gluster-users] Volume creation fails with "prefix of it is already part of a volume"

Stroppa Daniele (strp) strp at zhaw.ch
Tue Aug 20 19:51:21 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I'm setting up a small test cluster: 2 nodes (gluster-node1 and gluster-node4) with 2 bricks each (/mnt/brick1 and /mnt/brick2) and one volume (vol_icclab). When I issue the create volume command I get the following error:

# gluster volume create vol_icclab replica 2 transport tcp gluster-node4.test:/mnt/brick1/vol_icclab gluster-node1.test:/mnt/brick1/vol_icclab gluster-node4.test:/mnt/brick2/vol_icclab gluster-node1.test:/mnt/brick2/vol_icclab
volume create: vol_icclab: failed: /mnt/brick1/vol_icclab or a prefix of it is already part of a volume

I checked and found this [1], but in my case the issue it's happening when creating the volume for the first time, not after removing/adding a brick to a volume.

Any suggestions?

[1] http://joejulian.name/blog/glusterfs-path-or-a-prefix-of-it-is-already-part-of-a-volume/

Thanks,
--