[Gluster-users] standby-server

Ted Miller tmiller at hcjb.org
Mon Aug 19 14:05:22 UTC 2013

On 8/19/2013 2:38 AM, Daniel Müller wrote:
> What ist he reason about a "spare server" ?  With gluster just replicate to the real status all the time!?

This is a hot, tropical location with terrible power, a lot of lightning
storms and only part-time air-conditioning.  Hardware failures are common.  I
am doing what I can to protect against the power problems, but it is still an
environment that is very hard on equipment.  This system will be
business-critical--it is a radio station, and their music and other programs
will be on the glusterfs, with downtime  beyond seconds becoming dead air.

If there is a catastrophic event, I want the spare server to have been off,
and thus (most likely) not damaged.  It can be brought on-line to restore
dual server status.

> Or just do geo replication to a non gluster machine!?

I plan on doing geo-replication, but restoring a multi-terabyte file system
over a 4Mb link will take days.  We would probably have to rsync the file
system to portable drives and fly them over.

Hope that helps the perspective a bit.

Ted Miller