[Gluster-users] Replacing a failed brick

David Gibbons david.c.gibbons at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 16:35:15 UTC 2013

Hi There,

I'm currently testing Gluster for possible production use. I haven't been
able to find the answer to this question in the forum arch or in the public
docs. It's possible that I don't know which keywords to search for.

Here's the question (more details below): let's say that one of my bricks
"fails" -- *not* a whole node failure but a single brick failure within the
node. How do I replace a single brick on a node and force a sync from one
of the replicas?

I have two nodes with 5 bricks each:
gluster> volume info test-a

Volume Name: test-a
Type: Distributed-Replicate
Volume ID: e8957773-dd36-44ae-b80a-01e22c78a8b4
Number of Bricks: 5 x 2 = 10
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: 10.250.4.63:/localmnt/g1lv2
Brick2: 10.250.4.65:/localmnt/g2lv2
Brick3: 10.250.4.63:/localmnt/g1lv3
Brick4: 10.250.4.65:/localmnt/g2lv3
Brick5: 10.250.4.63:/localmnt/g1lv4
Brick6: 10.250.4.65:/localmnt/g2lv4
Brick7: 10.250.4.63:/localmnt/g1lv5
Brick8: 10.250.4.65:/localmnt/g2lv5
Brick9: 10.250.4.63:/localmnt/g1lv1
Brick10: 10.250.4.65:/localmnt/g2lv1

I formatted 10.250.4.65:/localmnt/g2lv5 (to simulate a "failure"). What is
the next step? I have tried various combinations of removing and re-adding
the brick, replacing the brick, etc. I read in a previous message to this
list that replace-brick was for planned changes which makes sense, so
that's probably not my next step.

Cheers,
Dave