[Gluster-users] remove-brick: sanity check

Pete Smith pete at realisestudio.com
Wed Aug 14 13:28:05 UTC 2013

Hello Gluster peeps

Just sanity checking the procedure for removing bricks ...

We're on v3.2.7, with four nodes (g1, g2, g3, g4), three bricks on
each node. The first two bricks across all nodes form a replicated
filesystem (gv1), the third brick a distributed filesystem (gv2).

The plan is to bring down the usage on the filesystems to below 50%,
remove the bricks from nodes three and four, and when the rebalance is
complete, remove nodes three and four from the cluster.

I've been reading the docs, and all seems to make sense. But I have
some questions:

1. For replicated volumes, removing bricks _should_ be fine. ?
2. For distributed volumes, how do I make sure that data is moved to
the bricks that I'm not going to remove?

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Pete Smith