[Gluster-users] How to correctly distribute OpenStack VM files...

Ben Turner bturner at redhat.com
Fri Aug 2 14:39:56 UTC 2013

I ran into this in my testing as well.  I think that this is happening because Cinder names its image files in the format image-$UUID.  My guess is that the similar filenames are hashing to the same brick as I have seen similar behavior naming files like test1, test2, ect.  Looking at this problem the first/simplest thing I could think of was for cinder to use a more unique filename and hope that they don't hash to the same brick.  Maybe even just use $UUID, but I don't know enough about the EHA to make very educated suggestions.

Something completely experimental I have been toying with is the idea of running both gluster(with the NUFA xlator) and cinder on all compute nodes.  Gluster would group all of the local storage across compute nodes the into a single name space and replicate it.  NUFA would prefer the local node for creating the image and hopefully reduce some overhead of going over the wire(although data would still need to be replicated).  I doubt the folks in either the glusterfs or OS camps would suggest this but, on paper at least, I was thinking this could help several things that I have ran into.

As far as striping goes I haven't looked into that as an option, and tbh I prolly won't until it becomes supported on the Red Hat downstream bits.  But it sounds like a possibility.  The ALU scheduler isn't something I am familiar with so I don't have a comment there.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, let me know what ya come up with!

-b