[Gluster-users] Docs on setting up translators

Joel Young jdy at cryregarder.com
Thu Aug 1 15:39:36 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 7:50 AM, SATHEESARAN <sasundar at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hope this helps.
> http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Translators/performance
>
> All these options are set on the volume, using "gluster volume set
> <vol-name> <option> <value>"

Sorry, no. This doesn't help.  It shows text entries for some
configuration file and doesn't
name which configuration file these text entries go in.  It doesn't
say if setting these
options with "gluster volume set" is persistent.  There is so much
context missing that
it is unusable for a new admin.

For example it says "The IO-Cache translator is useful on both the
client and server
sides of a connection."  Great!  How?  How do I specify that I want it
on the client side?
How do I specify which client?  How do I check to see if the change
has "taken"?
Is the change persistent across restarts?  What configuration files are modified
(hopefully in /etc) so that I can make sure they are apprpriately
backed up?  It even gives
a sample piece of configuration file but doesn't say where it is
supposed to go if I want it for the
server or for the client.  Do I need to do this on each server, one
one server node and it is
propogated?  On one client?  On all clients?

Sorry if I am obtuse.  I really feel like there is some statement of
administrative
philosophy that is missing.  If that statement was provided, then
these docs would
probably be quite useful.

Thanks,

Joel "feeling-ignorant" Young