[Gluster-users] Replicated and Non Replicated Bricks on Same Partition

Heath Skarlupka heath.skarlupka at ssec.wisc.edu
Mon Apr 29 16:19:58 UTC 2013

Gluster-Users,

We currently have a 30 node Gluster Distributed-Replicate 15 x 2
filesystem.  Each node has a ~20TB xfs filesystem mounted to /data and
the bricks live on /data/brick.  We have been very happy with this
setup, but are now collecting more data that doesn't need to be
replicated because it can be easily regenerated.  Most of the data lives
on our replicated volume and is starting to waste space.  My plan was to
create a second directory under the /data partition called
/data/non_replicated_brick on each of the 30 nodes and start up a second
Gluster filesystem.  This would allow me to dynamically size the
replicated and non_replicated space based on our current needs.

I'm a bit worried about going forward with this because I haven't seen
many users talk about putting two gluster bricks on the same underlying
filesystem.  I've gotten passed the technical hurdle and know that it is
technically possible, but I'm worried about corner cases and issues that
might crop up when we add more bricks and need to rebalance both gluster
volumes at once.  Does anybody have any insight in what the caveats of
doing this are or are there any users putting multiple bricks on a
single filesystem in the 50-100 node size range.  Thank you all for your
insights and help!

Heath Skarlupka
Systems Administrator
Space Science Engineering Center