[Gluster-users] How to properly shutdown Gluster (glusterd *and* related processes)

Jay Vyas jayunit100 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 16:54:03 UTC 2013

This is a great question, something I've been wondering.

Reposting some details from jeff darcy's email regarding a similar question
which i asked could help shed some light on this:

1) The daemons that run in gluster are:

        glusterd = management daemon
        glusterfsd = per-brick daemon
        glustershd = self-heal daemon
        glusterfs = usually client-side, but also NFS on servers

2) The lifecycle of the daemons:
*** The others are all started from glusterd, in response to volume start
and stop commands ***
*** They're actually all the same executable with different translators ***
*** glusterfs-server = the server side gluster implementation, which needs
to be instaled for serving gluster data ***

3) When glusterd starts up: It spawns any daemons that "should" be running
(according to which volumes are started, which have NFS or replication
enabled, etc.) and seem to be missing.

So...

If thats the case then I would say that ***stopping glusterd*** should
invert the "starting" of the above processes ... right?
But I would leave it to the gluster vets to answer this definitively...

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM, Guido De Rosa <guido.derosa at vemarsas.it>wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I've installed GlusterFS via Debian experimental packages, version
> 3.4.0~qa9realyalpha2-1.
>
> ( For the records, the reason I use an alpha release is that I want
> this feature:
> http://raobharata.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/qemu-glusterfs-native-integration/
> )
>
> I've also followed the Quick Start Guide and now I have a cluster of 2
> virtual machines, each contributing to a Gluster volume with one brick
> each.
>
> Now my issue:
>
> Let's assume no machine has actually mounted the Gluster volume.
>
> If I do:
>
>     ps aux | grep gluster
>
> I get a couple of daemons: glusterd, glusterfsd, glusterfs.
>
> If I do:
>
>     /etc/init.d/glusterfs-server stop
>
> I find (re-issuing ps) that glusterd has been terminated BUT the other
> processes (glusterfs and glusterfsd instances) *are still running*.
>
> (The same happens if I manually kill the glusterd process).
>
> Is this normal? Doesn't this leave the system in an inconsistent
> state? (For example on system shutdown).
>
> Should the init script be fixed? (maybe including "gluster volume
> stop" or something)?
>
> What's the best practice to terminate *all* Gluster related process
> (especially on system shutdown/reboot)?
>
> Thanks,
> Guido

Jay Vyas