[Gluster-users] How to properly shutdown Gluster (glusterd *and* related processes)

Guido De Rosa guido.derosa at vemarsas.it
Wed Apr 10 15:51:35 UTC 2013

Hello list,

I've installed GlusterFS via Debian experimental packages, version
3.4.0~qa9realyalpha2-1.

( For the records, the reason I use an alpha release is that I want
this feature: http://raobharata.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/qemu-glusterfs-native-integration/
)

I've also followed the Quick Start Guide and now I have a cluster of 2
virtual machines, each contributing to a Gluster volume with one brick
each.

Now my issue:

Let's assume no machine has actually mounted the Gluster volume.

If I do:

    ps aux | grep gluster

I get a couple of daemons: glusterd, glusterfsd, glusterfs.

If I do:

    /etc/init.d/glusterfs-server stop

I find (re-issuing ps) that glusterd has been terminated BUT the other
processes (glusterfs and glusterfsd instances) *are still running*.

(The same happens if I manually kill the glusterd process).

Is this normal? Doesn't this leave the system in an inconsistent
state? (For example on system shutdown).

Should the init script be fixed? (maybe including "gluster volume
stop" or something)?

What's the best practice to terminate *all* Gluster related process
(especially on system shutdown/reboot)?

Thanks,
Guido