[Gluster-users] RAID 0 with Cache v/s NO-RAID

Indivar Nair indivar.nair at techterra.in
Thu Sep 27 16:38:12 UTC 2012

Hi ...,

We were trying to define our storage spec for Gluster and was wondering
which would be better purely from a performance perspective.

1. Use a simple 24 Disk JBOD with SAS Controller and export each hard disk
as an individual volume

OR

2. Use the 24 Disk JBOD with Flash Based Cache enabled RAID Controller,
    create 12 *RAID 0* Arrays of 2 Disks each,
    and take advantage of the caching, especially for writing.

Wanted to know which would be faster,

accessing 24 Disks directly
OR
12 Logical Disks with a Cache support.

Just FYI, we will be creating a 'Striped Replicated' Volume for H/A.

Would appreciate any views or insights you could provide on this.

Thanks and Regards,

Indivar Nair