[Gluster-users] Gluster's read performance

Chandan Kumar chandank.kumar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 00:55:17 UTC 2012

Hello All,

I am new to gluster and evaluating it for my production environment. After
reading some blogs and googling I learned that NFS mount at clients give
better read performance for small files and the glusterfs/FUSE mount gives
better for large write operations.

Now my questions are

1) What do we mean by small files? 1KB/1MB/1GB?
2) If I am using NFS mount at the client I am most likely loosing the high
availability feature of gluster. unlike fuse mount where if primary goes
down I don't need to worry about availability.

Basically my production environment will mostly have read operations of
files ranging from 400KB to 5MB and they will be concurrently read by
different threads.

Thanks,
Chandan