[Gluster-users] cannot create a new volume with a brick that used to be part of a deleted volume?

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 18:27:10 UTC 2012

Hi Harry,
Thanks for your reply.  I tried to manually delete everything from the
brick filesystems (including the hidden files/dirs), but that didn't
help:
########
[root at farm-ljf0 ~]# ls -la /mnt/sdb1/
total 4
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  6 Sep 18 11:22 .
drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root 17 Sep 13 09:45 ..
[root at farm-ljf0 ~]# gluster volume create gv0 rep 2 transport tcp
10.31.99.165:/mnt/sdb1 10.31.99.166:/mnt/sdb1
/mnt/sdb1 or a prefix of it is already part of a volume
#########

So I unmounted, formatted fresh, remounted, and then the volume
creation worked.  This seems like a bug, or at the very least a
shortcoming in the documentation (which never mentions any of these
requirements).

Anyway, thanks for the help, its got me back on track.  Hopefully
someone from the gluster team will comment on this.