[Gluster-users] Has anyone used encrypted filesystems with Gluster?

Whit Blauvelt whit.gluster at transpect.com
Fri Sep 14 00:15:11 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 05:02:48PM -0700, Adam Brenner wrote:
> > Yeah. But then, if it could do an unattended boot, then someone who steals
> > the system isn't hindered by the encryption either.
>
> In this hypothetical situation, is securing your machine room a
> consideration? I suspect someone could do far worse things, destroying
> your entire infrastructure, that is pretty important as well,
> hypothetical speaking :)

The computer room is well secured. But some of the data we handle belongs to
other firms. Several have recently been strongly suggesting that they prefer
that any file systems their data rests on be encrypted.

I knew a guy who lived in Kathmandu in the 60s. There was a restaurant
favored by Westerners, who would often ask, "Do you boil your water?" The
answer: "Yes!" One day he went into the kitchen and there on the stove was a
pot of boiling water. It wasn't the water they served anyone. They just
thought that Westerners believed it as auspicious to keep a pot of water
boiling in the kitchen.

So do I believe someone's going to steal our systems? Not a chance in a
thousand. But it will help the boss's business to be able to say, "Yes, we
boil our water."

Whit