[Gluster-users] Throughout over infiniband

Washer, Bryan bwasher at netsuite.com
Mon Sep 10 15:03:21 UTC 2012

  This is just a response to the issue of nfs vs glusterfs and the performance for glsuter as I think some of the information may be useful here and has not been discussed.

  For the sake of clarity, I do not run infiniband..but I am running 10GB. My normal production speeds sit around 600MB/s to 700MB/s with the native gluster client.

My setup has 12 servers each with a single 24 disk sata raid 5 10TB brick.  Gluster setup of 6x2.

  Before I settled on this setup I run extensive tests over about 6 weeks to confirm my setup...  in my case glusterfs native out performed NFS considerably in aggretgate data xfers....I also found that the peak performance of the glusterfs client in my setup was at about 12 servers.  This distributed the write and read loads very well....after 12 servers adding more produces diminishing returns.

  I bring this up as no one has been talking about how their brick setup may be effecting the performance as well as the number of servers hosting bricks....Putting multiple bricks on a single server does not increase the load capacity anywhere near like adding another server with the additional brick.

The point I wanted to make was you need to look at all sides of your setup in order to get the best performance...In my case this involved evaluating the raid setup (tuning the size of blocks), the file system used for the brick on the raid (and tuning it, specifically for the size and types of files be manipulated), the memory and cpu in the servers, the network BW, and the client access method.   I had to look at all of these (and each of them had an impact on the final performance numbers) before I found my best setup.....I do not think you can just unilaterally dismiss the gluster setup until you have done a COMPLETE analysis for how to best setup your environment.

Just sharing my thoughts as when I first was setting up gluster I thought I could just install it and tweak the options and be good to go but once I understood everything it is dependent on and addressed all of those options and tuning as well....I significantly improved my overall performance to well over what I was able to achieve with nfs.

Feel free to shoot me with comments or questions.

Bryan Washer