[Gluster-users] XFS and MD RAID

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Mon Sep 10 08:39:18 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 09:29:25AM +0800, Jack Wang wrote:
> below patch should fix your bug.

Thank you Jack - that was a very quick response! I'm building a new kernel
with this patch now and will report back.

However, I think the existence of this bug suggests that Linux with software
RAID is unsuitable for production use.  There has obviously been no testing
of basic critical functionality like hot-plugging drives, and serious
regressions are introduced into supposedly "stable" kernels.

So I'm now on the lookout for a 24-port SATA RAID controller with good Linux
support. What are my options?

Googling I have found:

* 3ware 9650SE-24
* Areca ARC-1280ML
* LSI MegaRAID 9280-24i (newer SAS/SATA)
* Areca ARC-1882ix-24 (newer SAS/SATA)

However I see some people suggesting just a RAID card with a few ports plus
a SAS expander backplane.  This would be fine too - I don't mind an
aggregate throughput limit of 6Gb/s for some or all of the drives.  I just
want to be sure that the RAID controller will handle all the possible
failure modes and swap events of the various drives.

Regards,

Brian.