[Gluster-users] Offering a private backend Gluster volume to a public network.

Matthew Temple mht at mail.dfci.harvard.edu
Wed Oct 31 00:13:40 UTC 2012

We have a distributed/replicated gluster volume running on IPoIB.    We
don't yet know much about its performance in practice.   The volume will be
mounted natively  to our HPC compute cluster and used for nextgen sequence
analysis.   The HPC compute cluster and the Gluster volume are in the same
private IB network.

The problem is, we need a way to get data from sequencers and other sources
living on the public network /into/ the Gluster volume.   The Gluster
bricks have gigE NICs on the public side in addition to the Infiniband
connections.   My first thought is to have each Gluster brick also act as a
Gluster client, mount its own volume, then re-export the mount point  by
NFS or CIFS to the public network.
        Alternatively, I could set up some number of servers that are /not/
Gluster bricks, but are Gluster clients, and those servers would have IB
and GigE -- then have those servers re-export the mounted Gluster volumes
by NFS or CIFS.   Neither of these models seems terribly efficient, but
getting data into the volume won't be as intense and running analysis
software against the volume.

1. Has anyone done this (or something similar)?
2. Did it work acceptably?
3. Does anyone have a better solution?

(There is an article in which there is a suggestion that Gluster volumes be
accessible by multiple addresses natively, but it's not implemented
anywhere as far as I know.)

Matt

------
Matt Temple