[Gluster-users] Expanding with different OS/file system

Jon Tegner tegner at renget.se
Sun Oct 28 04:29:19 UTC 2012

Hi,

we have a system consisting of 4 nodes, each running CentOS-5.5 and
raid10 on ext4, and using gluster 3.2.6.

Now we want to expand this system with a 5:th node, and my plan was to
use the same setup (5.5, raid10, ext4, 3.2.6). However, due to hardware
issues I can't install CentOS-5.5 on the new machine, and I'm wondering
of my options here.

Should I:

1. Go for the lowest version of CentOS the new hardware can take, and
hope this isn't affected by the ext4-issue.

or

2. Should I opt for newer OS, like CentOS-6.3, and use xfs on the new
machine? That is, would it be an issue to have bricks using different
underlying file systems?

In both these cases I intend to use 3.2.6.

Regards,

/jon