[Gluster-users] GlusterFS failover with UCarp

Runar Ingebrigtsen runar at rin.no
Fri Nov 2 11:28:03 UTC 2012

On to. 01. nov. 2012 kl. 14.51 +0100, Matthew Temple wrote:
> We tried using this model with last year with VMWare, and found it to
> fail. We were using UCARP.

Could you elaborate a bit, please? What failed? When?

> I found a number of places on the web
> indicating that UCARP, Gluster, and NFS would work for VMWare storage,
> but further discussion really convinced me that the people who
> proposed it as a solution could only say that it /should/ work, not
> that it /would/ work.   The same article proliferated all over the net.
> So I wonder if anyone has used it successfully.

We are in the middle of testing this setup, and our first tests with
storing VMs on the UCarp'd NFS mount seemed to work within VirtualBox,
at least for Linux VM's. What happened at failure was that you couldn't
load new programs or do anything that tried to access the disk, but it
all worked fine after failover completed (within a minute).
We have yet to test this with any VMWare host.

>  With that said, CTDB
> /looks/ like it should work for that, but does it?   Has anyone used it?

Thanks for the tip. We'll include http://ctdb.samba.org/nfs.html in our
testing.

--
Best Regards