[Gluster-users] Some benchmarks for anyone that's interested..

lejeczek peljasz at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 10 08:18:55 UTC 2012

glusterfs is a distributed file system, fair enough, easy to
maintain and very friendly to the user
still, comparing it against a raw (local) file system, like
I do via local mount point back ended with a single brick
volume would be a valid route to see what glusterfs does
when most of the variables are out of the equation.
I mean a basic logic one would follow is, unless a volume is
a smartly distributed it would slow down even more (with
some formula) as soon as other media get involved
thus I believe for simpler scenarios glusterfs won't do, for
instance one would like to run a live replica of a storage,
a glusterfs two bricks replicated vol VS even only
bidirectional lsyncd
lsyncd wins by miles, even for very deep data trees with
lots of files

all may appreciate great bonus of clear and easy maintenance
gluster offers (yet still no AFR-like setups with command
utils possible) which is important for more complex
configurations, for simpler ones this bonus does not
outweigh poor performance gluster suffers from, well, in my
opinion.

thanks