[Gluster-users] Newbie's understanding of GlusterFS

Berend de Boer berend at pobox.com
Fri Mar 30 23:59:27 UTC 2012

    Wipe> If I had 10 bricks in a replicated volume would the the
    Wipe> effective storage capacity be half the total storage
    Wipe> capacity as is the case with RAID1?

It all depends on your setup: you can distribute, you can replicate,
or a mixture.

If you don't replicate, removing one brick will lead to
loss. Obviously if you still have the disk, you can bring up a
replicate of your lost brick with the original disks so you're back in
business.

    Wipe> Next area I am not sure of.. Does GlusterFS only store
    Wipe> complete files or chunks of files on bricks?

It can do both. If you replicate, it will store whole files. If you
stripe it won't. See the manual.

    Wipe> If running a replicated volume and a brick is removed
    Wipe> permanently, will the data that now is not replicated be
    Wipe> automatically replicated to another brick?

Not sure about this one, it definitely will if you attach a
replacement.

But it's not dynamic as far as I understand it. You specify beforehand
how many bricks there are going to be, the system does not, or did
not, handle a specification like: I want at least 3 copies of a
file. It's more primitive, you specify I have 3 replicating bricks.

But read the docs, they are actually pretty good.

--
All the best,

Berend de Boer