[Gluster-users] Newbie's understanding of GlusterFS

Wipe_Out wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Mar 30 22:58:39 UTC 2012

Hi All,

Trying to wrap my head around GlusterFS (pretty new to clusterd/distributed
file storage systems) but am unsure on a few things that I can't seem to
find the answers to.. Hopefully the members of the list don't mind clearing
it up for me..

Firstly am I on the right track with my understanding of the storage
methods.. This is how I read it and relate it to RAID terminology..
Distributed = JBOD
Replicated = RAID1
Striped = RAID0
Distributed Striped = JDOD/RAID0??
Distributed Replicated = JBOD/RAID1??

If I had 10 bricks in a replicated volume would the the effective storage
capacity be half the total storage capacity as is the case with RAID1?

Next area I am not sure of.. Does GlusterFS only store complete files or
chunks of files on bricks?
I am looking to store Virtual Machine image files of anything up to 100GB..
Would the whole 100GB file be resident on one brick? or stored over a
number of bricks?

If running a replicated volume and a brick is removed permanently, will the
data that now is not replicated be automatically replicated to another
brick?

Sorry for the simplistic questions but these things weren't obvious in the
docs..

Thanks in advance..