[Gluster-users] CeBIT goodies

Marcus Bointon marcus at synchromedia.co.uk
Wed Mar 14 11:05:07 UTC 2012

I saw a quick demo of HotLava's multiport ethernet cards at CeBIT last week. The guy there had a low-spec server with two multi-port 10Gbe cards in sitting there sustaining 200Gbit/sec. I was quite impressed, thought it might be of interest to gluster users. They're very pretty when they're all lit up :) http://www.hotlavasystems.com/

I also saw an interesting low-cost 'fat blade' server called 'skimpy' by http://www.christmann.info/products/show/65 As they say on their site - don't search for images on google using that term! They also had a 64-port 1U 10Gbe switch: that's a lot of ports in 1U! They had it set up with a 3U server containing three dual 8-core motherboards and an array of 64 600G SAS SSDs, plus a couple of PB of HD storage. I think the price for the whole (half-rack) stack was about €200,000! I couldn't tell you if that's good value or not!

These are just random observations, I've nothing to do with either company!

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
UK info at hand CRM solutions