[Gluster-users] gluster-fuse and rebalance (Re: (3.1.X) add-brick during re-balancing)

Tomoaki Sato tsato at valinux.co.jp
Thu Jun 28 04:03:12 UTC 2012

Shishir,

Thank you for your prompt reply.
When should I specify 'force' option for 'gluster volume reparance <volume> start' ?

-- excerpt from manual page --
8.5.2. Rebalancing Volume to Fix Layout and Migrate Data

After expanding or shrinking a volume (using the add-brick and remove-brick commands respectively),
you need to rebalance the data among the servers.

To rebalance a volume to fix layout and migrate the existing data

• Start the rebalance operation on any one of the server using the following command:
  # gluster volume rebalance VOLNAME start
  For example:
   # gluster volume rebalance test-volume start
   Starting rebalancing on volume test-volume has been successful

• Start the migration operation forcefully on any one of the server using the following command:
  # gluster volume rebalance VOLNAME start force
  For example:
   # gluster volume rebalance test-volume start force
   Starting rebalancing on volume test-volume has been successful
-- --

Regards,

Tomo