[Gluster-users] Switching clients to NFS

David Coulson david at davidcoulson.net
Fri Jun 22 10:58:21 UTC 2012

On 6/22/12 6:18 AM, Fernando Frediani (Qube) wrote:
> I have seen a few people recently saying they are using NFS instead of the Native Gluster client. I would imagine that the Gluster client would always be better and faster besides the automatic failover, but it makes me wonder what sort of problems their as experiencing with the Gluster client.

I ran FUSE mounts for a couple of months then switched to NFS. In
general I saw an approx 2x improvement in read performance, and writes
appeared to be a little quicker. Since my environment is 'mostly reads',
as NFS utilizes the OS filesystem cache I saw a substantial drop in
network traffic between Gluster nodes.

I was also never able to get FUSE to mount volumes with an explicit
SELinux context set. Not sure if it's a bug in FUSE on RHEL6, or just
something broken with FUSE, but it just ignored the secontext= mount
parameter. NFS works with this, so I was able to run SELinux in
enforcing mode while using Gluster.

David