[Gluster-users] Striped replicated volumes in Gluster 3.3.0

Amar Tumballi amarts at redhat.com
Wed Jun 6 07:54:01 UTC 2012

Hi All,

>> I'm sorry if the release didn't address the specific features you need,
>> and I'm sorry if we gave the impression that it would. Our additional
>> features for 3.3 were always pretty clear, or so I thought. If you can
>> find any statements from the past year that were misleading, I would be
>> happy to address them directly, but your statement above was a bit vague.
>
> John Mark,
>
> Please consider my comments in the context of Amar's comment, which I quoted
> above it:
>
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 11:09:39AM +0530, Amar Tumballi wrote:
>
>> I saw that mail and I agree that the target of 3.3.0 was to make
>> glusterfs more stable and get the features which would make Virtual
>> machine hosting on GlusterFS a possibility by 3.4.0 time-frame.
>
> Does that not seem to say that virtual machine hosting is not really to be a
> possibility before the 3.4.0 time-frame? From subsequent responses,
> including yours, Amar likely misspoke. Excuse me for responding to a message
> that seemed to be saying that Gluster won't be fully ready for VM hosting
> before 3.4.0.

I am really sorry as the words in my earlier mail gave raise to so many
confusions.

What I spoke or mentioned was surely misleading. What I wanted to say
was mostly from many different angle.

With 3.3.0, we made changes which provide almost all the VM hosting
functionality in GlusterFS (like what avati mentioned). But as a
company, our internal QA team's main focus was to get the 'stable'
version out, which solves the general storage pain points.

My words were mostly based on internal QA perspective, because we
couldn't test every possibility with VM hosting internally, hence the
advise is that, please have a test run in your test setup before putting
it in production. I am not saying its not ready yet, but we would surely
like more testing time for glusterfs as VM hosting, to 'officially' say
we are good with VM Hosting.

3.4.0 just a indicative version release I used to say "in later
versions", I should have used 3.3.1, I guess.

To fix any bugs which crops up with VM hosting, We request you to run
more tests and report issues, so we can close the loop on this.

-Amar