[Gluster-users] Striped replicated volumes in Gluster 3.3.0

John Mark Walker johnmark at redhat.com
Tue Jun 5 22:32:58 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> John Mark,
>
> Please consider my comments in the context of Amar's comment, which I
> quoted
> above it:
>
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 11:09:39AM +0530, Amar Tumballi wrote:
>
> > I saw that mail and I agree that the target of 3.3.0 was to make
> > glusterfs more stable and get the features which would make Virtual
> > machine hosting on GlusterFS a possibility by 3.4.0 time-frame.
>
> Does that not seem to say that virtual machine hosting is not really
> to be a
> possibility before the 3.4.0 time-frame? From subsequent responses,
> including yours, Amar likely misspoke. Excuse me for responding to a
> message
> that seemed to be saying that Gluster won't be fully ready for VM
> hosting
> before 3.4.0.

He's saying it's an ongoing process, which is true, and expressed surprise at it "not working at all".

Whether something is "fully ready" depends on your use case and is a moving goalpost. At this point, we're just going to be arguing over semantics. What I want to do is focus on what we've achieved, which is substantial, with an eye towards what is yet to be done.

-JM