[Gluster-users] Striped replicated volumes in Gluster 3.3.0

John Mark Walker johnmark at redhat.com
Tue Jun 5 21:42:37 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

> Odd thing is, there have been statements going back a year saying
> that
> Gluster would be ready for VM hosting in the 3.3 version. On the one
> hand,
> it's appreciated that Gluster is pursuing ambitious goals. On the
> other,
> when a goal is dropped from a release that many people are waiting on
> a long
> time, specifically because of that advertised goal, it would be
> common
> courtesy (and good business practice) to announce the change in
> target in
> all the places where it had previously been stated. Like this list.

The stated, proposed changes in 3.3 that would have a positive impact on VM image hosting were granular locking and the addition of better self-healing. The most common complaints we heard about 3.2 were directly related to our delivering those features for 3.3, and we delivered them.

Our goals for 3.3 didn't changed, and I'm curious how you got the impression that they did. What has changed, however, are the higher expectations, and we understand that this is one of the side-affects of more success and more people touching the software than ever before.

I'm sorry if the release didn't address the specific features you need, and I'm sorry if we gave the impression that it would. Our additional features for 3.3 were always pretty clear, or so I thought. If you can find any statements from the past year that were misleading, I would be happy to address them directly, but your statement above was a bit vague.

Thanks,
JM