[Gluster-users] NFS mounts with glusterd on localhost - reliable or not?

Whit Blauvelt whit.gluster at transpect.com
Thu Jul 19 12:28:46 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 01:56:04AM -0400, Rajesh Amaravathi wrote:

> As to whether we can disable parts of kernel NFS (I'm assuming e.g NLM), I think
> its not really necessary since we can mount other exports with nolock option.
> If we take out NLM or disable NLM at the kernel level, then every time we need
> NLM from kernel, we need to recompile the kernel/have a secondary kernel with NLM
> and reboot, much tedious than simply killing Gluster/fuse NFS and after kernel NLM's
> work is done, restart Gluster/fuse NFS. My $0.02 :)

Since there's good reason to want locking with Gluster NFS, wouldn't the
answer be to add code to kernel that would allow the kernel's locking to be
turned off and on in the standard way - a file called something like
kernel_nfs_locking that would hold either a 0 or 1?

Obviously the kernel's NFS support was built on the assumption that no one
with kernel NFS available would want to run userland NFS. Gluster shows that
assumption is wrong. So wouldn't it be sensible for someone on the Gluster
team to be submitting kernel patches to fix this oversight?

Best,
Whit