[Gluster-users] NFS mounts with glusterd on localhost - reliable or not?

William L. Sebok wls at astro.umd.edu
Wed Jul 18 22:42:39 UTC 2012

This is another reason why it there *really* should be a way with the CLI to
have an option that GlusterNFS be enabled on  only one machine in a cluster
(I've asked for that before). Our cluster has a private network.  Inside the
cluster private network I use native glusterfs mounts.  Outside the private
network, I use an nfs mount exported by a gateway machine.  For us it is only
necessary to have GlusterNFS running on that gateway machine.

Having the glusterfs file system mounted nolock I can live with but but it is
intolerable if the home directories from outside the cluster that are mounted
with automount in the gluster require nolock.  I might be able to tolerate this
it if this is the situation is only on the gateway machine, not every machine
in the cluster.

In the the past I used a hack to create a peer that had only Kernel NFS by
making sure that the Kernel NFS came up first on boot.  Is that still true?

Bill Sebok      Computer Software Manager, Univ. of Maryland, Astronomy
	Internet: wls at astro.umd.edu	URL: http://furo.astro.umd.edu/

--- Bill Sebok