[Gluster-users] Switch recommendations

Dan Bretherton d.a.bretherton at reading.ac.uk
Mon Jan 30 17:45:44 UTC 2012

Thanks for the advice Peter,
> You could get a cisco switch that supports cut through instead of
> store-and-forward, for lower latency.
Interesting option, but those cost ~£10K and are out of our price range
unfortunately.  The "cut through" switching technology is also available
in Dell's new Force 10 range I believe.

> Other than that, compare the port to port forwarding times and see if
> there is a difference between the switches you are looking at (probably
> not) and make your decision based on that.
You're right, there isn't much of a difference between the forwarding
rate of the 5548 and the 6248, both are about 100Mpps.  They also have a
similar bandwidth of about 180Gbps.  However the 7048 does better on
both measures, with forwarding rate of 160Mpps and a bandwidth of
224Gbps.  Unfortunately the 7048 costs five times as much as the 5548,
and I don't know if the users would notice any difference at all.  I
expect some would and some wouldn't.

-Dan.