[Gluster-users] A "cool" failure mode which gives no real useful information at debug level ... and how to fix

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Jan 18 18:32:06 UTC 2012

On 01/18/2012 01:29 PM, Daniel Taylor wrote:
> Thanks. We saw something very similar with root filesystem damage on one
> of our nodes locking access to the clusters it was a member of.
>
> Better logging wouldn't have helped there, since it was clobbering the
> glusterd logfile, but it does make me wonder if it isn't possible to get
> smarter error messages for host filesystem access issues?

Yeah ...

I might start going through the code and add bunches of

	if (!open(...)) {

         }

crap if its not in there now.  My code (mostly Perl these days, though
some C and others) tends to have that, as I like our customers to call
us up and tell us "hey the code said it can't write to file /x/y/z
because the permissions are wrong, and we need to change ownership ...
what does that mean?".  Makes support much easier.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com