[Gluster-users] "mismatching layouts" errors after expanding volume

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Wed Feb 22 14:19:48 UTC 2012

On 02/22/2012 07:22 AM, Dan Bretherton wrote:
> I would really appreciate a quick Yes/No answer to the most important
> question - is it safe to create, modify and delete files in a volume
> during a fix-layout operation after an expansion?

My first reaction is to say yes, that should generally be safe.  Fix-layout
changes some xattrs on directories that control where new files are placed, but
even if a file ends up on the "wrong" brick the algorithm to find it anyway is
pretty robust.  It is possible to see layout anomalies if a client looks up a
directory at the exact moment that its layout xattrs are being updated, but
that should be a very rare and transient case.

OTOH, the log entries below do seem to indicate that there's something going on
that I don't understand.  I'll dig a bit, and let you know if I find anything
to change my mind wrt the safety of restoring write access.