[Gluster-users] Exorbitant cost to achieve redundancy??

Jeff White jaw171 at pitt.edu
Wed Feb 15 14:30:58 UTC 2012

On 02/14/2012 01:25 PM, John Mark Walker wrote:
> [...]
True, but it seems like at some point the cost of N+N just looks silly
(think if you need 2,000 servers to get the usable space of 1,000 of them).
> There shouldn't be many cases where replica 3 is absolutely necessary - not when you utilize a decent RAID card.
> To pose the issue in a slightly different light, what would you want future behavior to be? Is erasure coding something that you view as essential in the near future?
>
> -JM
By "erasure coding" I assume you mean "some RAID 5/6-like data recovery
with parity".  I think this should be something to investigate and see
if it is plausible to build.  At the very least it opens GlusterFS to
more use-cases and more design choices.