[Gluster-users] Distributed-Replicated adding/removing nodes

Bryan Whitehead driver at megahappy.net
Tue Feb 14 01:17:47 UTC 2012

I have 3 servers, but want replicate = 2. To do this I have 2 bricks on
each server:

Example output:

Volume Name: images
Type: Distributed-Replicate
Number of Bricks: 3 x 2 = 6
Transport-type: rdma
Bricks:
Brick1: lab0:/g0
Brick2: lab1:/g0
Brick3: lab2:/g0
Brick4: lab0:/g1
Brick5: lab1:/g1
Brick6: lab2:/g1

If I want to add lab3:/g0 and lab3:/g1, it will end up looking like this:

Volume Name: images
Type: Distributed-Replicate
Number of Bricks: 4 x 2 = 8
Transport-type: rdma
Bricks:
Brick1: lab0:/g0
Brick2: lab1:/g0
Brick3: lab2:/g0
Brick4: lab0:/g1
Brick5: lab1:/g1
Brick6: lab2:/g1
Brick7: lab3:/g0
Brick8: lab3:/g1

This seems like files could potentially both be stuck on lab3. Do I need to
do some crazy migrations to move bricks around? Is this somewhat automated?

NOTE: I don't have a lab3, but I'm imagining what will happen when I do...
So the above output is from my imagination. But I think it is correct.

-Bryan