[Gluster-users] CIFS options - anyone done A-B comparisons on various setups?

Whit Blauvelt whit.gluster at transpect.com
Tue Dec 11 14:20:13 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 10:10:32AM +0100, Gunnar wrote:

> after testing for a while (after copying several 100000 files) it
> seems that either glusterfs or glusternfs is crashing under load.
> The the average load on the machine goes up to 8 or 9, before it was
> max around 1, but there is no according process

Is this uniquely with a Samba re-export of a Gluster NFS export? Or do you
also see it with a Gluster NFS export alone?

If it's only with Samba, are Samba's logs showing anything? Many months
back, with Gluster 3.1.5 NFS re-exported though Samba 3.0.28a, we hit a
situation where Samba's logs were filling far too fast with an error (not
precisely remembered) that led me to add "posix-locking = no" to the
individual share configs in smb.conf and "unix extensions = no" to [global].
I can't speak to the exact need for either - it was more a matter of
googling other's responses to the error message and seeing those sometimes
suggested in other contexts as cures. IIRC the Samba project itself had no
useful documentation on these options or when they're useful.

On the one hand, it's since been half a year without Samba running away like
that again. On the other, the setup had been running for half a year before
it did the first time. So this may be an anecdote with no diagnostic
relevance.

Whit