[Gluster-users] files on gluster brick that have '---------T' designation.

Shishir Gowda sgowda at redhat.com
Tue Aug 21 15:33:47 UTC 2012

Hi,

distribute xlator splits its namespace into smaller namespace's spread across its subvolumes(a.k.a layouts).

The hash value of a file falls under a particular layout, and that subvolume is known as the hashed subvol. When a file is created, it is created under the hashed subvol.

Over the life cycle of a file, when rename/mv operations are involved, the new hashed subvolume might end up to be different compared to existing subvolume. So, instead of moving the file, we create link files (----T 0-byte) files, with extended attributes on the new hashed subvol. The extended attributes point to the old subvolume(cached subvol) where the file data actually existed(renamed file).

A full rebalance (and sometimes with force option, if target subvols are exceeding src subvol size) will clean up these link files, but actually migrating the cached files to the correct hashed subvol.

With regards,
Shishir