[Gluster-users] Bricks suggestions

Gandalf Corvotempesta gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 21:22:20 UTC 2012

2012/4/29 Brian Candler <B.Candler at pobox.com>

> Yes. I considered that too. What you have to weigh it up against is the
> management overhead:
>
> - recognising a failed disk
> - replacing a failed disk (which involves creating a new XFS filesystem
>  and mounting it at the right place)
> - forcing a self-heal
>
> Whereas detecting a failed RAID disk is straightforward, and so is swapping
> it out.

So, what will you do? RAID1? No raid?
How does gluster detect a failed disk with no raid? What I don't understand
is how gluster will detect a failure on a disk and the reply with data on
the other server.

With a raid controller, if controller detect a failure, will reply with KO
to the operating system, but with no raid? What will happens?

Is safer to use a 24 disks server with no raid and with 24 replicated and
distributed bricks (24 on one server and 24 on other server)?