[Gluster-users] Bricks suggestions

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Sun Apr 29 21:18:40 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 11:25:30PM +0200, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
>    I'm also considering no raid at all.
>
>    For example, with 2 server and 8 SATA disk each, I can create a single
>    XFS filesystem for every disk and then creating a replicated bricks for
>    each.
>
>    For example:
>
>    server1:brick1 => server2:brick1
>
>    server1:brick2 => server2:brick2
>
>    and so on.
>
>    After that, I can use these bricks to create a distributed volume.
>
>    In case of a disk failure, I have to heal only on disk at time and not
>    the whole volume, right?

Yes. I considered that too. What you have to weigh it up against is the
management overhead:

- recognising a failed disk
- replacing a failed disk (which involves creating a new XFS filesystem
  and mounting it at the right place)
- forcing a self-heal

Whereas detecting a failed RAID disk is straightforward, and so is swapping
it out.