[Gluster-users] GlusterFS performance with small files.

Haris Zukanovic haris.zukanovic74 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 16:55:30 UTC 2012

Is there anything to do to optimize the read for small files in a
replicated gluster setup? The files reside allready on the server in
question in the brick.
Something like disable diverse checking for files that I know are not
updated often? For example web files like images uploaded through the
CMS. These files are uploaded once and never modified again...

kind regards
Haris

On 03/04/12 18.40, Bryan Whitehead wrote:
> A bunch of small files is terrible performance. Really not much you
> can do about that. Store each mailbox in a single file. MailDir format
> is definitely going to suck.
>
> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 3:05 AM, David Whiteman<davew at supanet.net.uk>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am currently looking into GlusterFS to use as a storage cluster for our
>> email storage. I want to mount the storage from different servers (or VMs),
>> services accessing the storage include exim, courier-imapd, courier-pop3d.
>> Our emails are stored in MailDir format, which is many small files. I have
>> read that GlusterFS doesn't perform very well with small files, is this
>> still the case?
>>
>> I would like to achieve similar (or better) performance to our current NFS
>> setup, with the added redundancy that GlusterFS provides.
>>
>> Is there any utilities I can use to test the performance?
>>
>> Thanks in Advance

Haris Zukanovic