[Gluster-users] trouble rebalancing volume

Brian Cipriano bcipriano at zerovfx.com
Mon Apr 2 21:50:03 UTC 2012

I wrote about this issue a few weeks ago, but its started happening again.

To summarize, when I try to rebalance a volume I get a strange
combination of messages:

> $ sudo gluster volume rebalance west start
> starting rebalance on volume west has been unsuccessful
> $ sudo gluster volume rebalance west status
> rebalance not started
> $ sudo gluster volume rebalance west stop
> stopped rebalance process of volume west
> (after rebalancing 0 files totaling 0 bytes)
> $ sudo gluster volume rebalance west start
> Rebalance on west is already started
> $ sudo gluster volume rebalance west status
> rebalance stopped

And no rebalancing actually occurs.

This seems to be intermittent, in that I was able to balance this volume
previously. However no amount of uninstalling/reinstalling gluster,
stopping/starting the volume, rebooting the machine will cause the issue
to go away.

I've just upgraded to Gluster 3.2.6 which did not help.

Any ideas? Thanks so much,

- brian