[Gluster-users] Confused about Geo Replication..

Robert Krig robert at bitcaster.de
Mon Oct 24 08:46:17 UTC 2011

I've been reading the documentation, but I'm a bit stumped as to how to
setup geo-replication with glusterfs.

The documentation mentions that you use an existing glusterfs volume to
start geo replication. But what kind of volume? Do you just create a
standard replicated volume with a replica count of 1?

Could somebody outline the steps for geo-replication?

Also, does geo-replication perform better than replication?

In our setup we need redundancy, but more as a fail-safe backup option,
rather than a load balancing setup. We just want to be able to quickly
switch to our backup server, if our primary server should go down for
any reason.
Would a geo-replication setup with GlusterFS have better read and write
performance, since the slave can lag behind a bit?