[Gluster-users] Optimal XFS formatting?

Sabuj Pattanayek sabujp at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 13:36:38 UTC 2011

Hi,

I've seen that EXT4 has better random I/O performance than XFS,
especially on small reads and writes. For large sequential reads and
writes XFS is a little bit better. For really large sequential reads
and write EXT4 and XFS are about the same. I used to format XFS using
this:

mkfs.xfs -l size=64m

(notes from http://everything2.com/title/Filesystem+performance+tweaking+with+XFS+on+Linux)

but realized that it doesn't seem to effect performance for me. You
should definitely try mounting with this :

mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8

HTH,
Sabuj