[Gluster-users] gluster map/reduce performance..

Venky Shankar venky at gluster.com
Thu Oct 20 06:57:25 UTC 2011

Hi,

Did you test GlusterFS write performance (using 'dd') *only* from the client mount ?

I ask this because GlusterFS Hadoop plugin does a FUSE mount on *every* node in the cluster. So during the map phase, when jobs get assigned to slaves; all I/O will be done via FUSE (which is mostly reads). Similarly, during Reduce phase, the reduce jobs would be writing to the FUSE mount (on their respective nodes).

Can you try doing the 'dd' test on all nodes in the cluster parallely (on the FUSE mount) on the 2x2 Distribute-Replicate setup and let us know the numbers (throughput numbers from all nodes would be helpful, if possible).

Write performance in HDFS is exceptionally well because of it's aggressive client side caching (HDFS relaxes a POSIX requirement to get higher write throughput).

Thanks,
-Venky