[Gluster-users] Vol full of .*.gfs* after migrate-data

Olivier Nicole Olivier.Nicole at cs.ait.ac.th
Mon Oct 3 03:13:47 UTC 2011

Hi,

> I have been testing rebalance...migrate-data in GlusterFS version 3.2.3,
> following add-brick and fix-layout.  After migrate-data the the volume
> is 97% full with some bricks being 100% full.  I have not added any
> files to the volume so there should be an amount of free space at least
> as big as the new bricks that were added.  However, it seems as if all
> the extra space has been taken up with files matching the pattern
> .*.gfs*.  I presume these are temporary files used for the transfer real
> files, which should have been renamed once the transfers were completed
> and verified, and the original versions deleted.  The new bricks contain
> mostly these temporary files, and zero byte link files pointing to the
> corresponding real files on other bricks.  An example of such a pair is
> shown below.
>
> ---------T 1 root root 0 Sep 30 03:14
> /mnt/local/glusterfs/root/backup/behemoth_system/bin/df
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 60416 Sep 30 18:20
> /mnt/local/glusterfs/root/backup/behemoth_system/bin/.df.gfs60416
>
> Is this a known bug, and is there a work-around?  If not, is it safe to
> delete the .*.gfs* files so I can at least use the volume?

I have had the same exact behaviour with the latest package, on Ubuntu
11.0. The log shows a file size error after rebalance; while both file
are identical. I presume that may be due to some caching done in the
OS and the new file is not yet properly fulshed when it is being
stat'ed for it's size.

Best regards,

Olivier