[Gluster-users] Vol full of .*.gfs* after migrate-data

Dan Bretherton d.a.bretherton at reading.ac.uk
Sat Oct 1 19:56:10 UTC 2011

Hello All,
I have been testing rebalance...migrate-data in GlusterFS version 3.2.3,
following add-brick and fix-layout.  After migrate-data the the volume
is 97% full with some bricks being 100% full.  I have not added any
files to the volume so there should be an amount of free space at least
as big as the new bricks that were added.  However, it seems as if all
the extra space has been taken up with files matching the pattern
.*.gfs*.  I presume these are temporary files used for the transfer real
files, which should have been renamed once the transfers were completed
and verified, and the original versions deleted.  The new bricks contain
mostly these temporary files, and zero byte link files pointing to the
corresponding real files on other bricks.  An example of such a pair is
shown below.

---------T 1 root root 0 Sep 30 03:14
/mnt/local/glusterfs/root/backup/behemoth_system/bin/df
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 60416 Sep 30 18:20
/mnt/local/glusterfs/root/backup/behemoth_system/bin/.df.gfs60416

Is this a known bug, and is there a work-around?  If not, is it safe to
delete the .*.gfs* files so I can at least use the volume?

Regards
Dan Bretherton